MCA RYA Motor Boat Training

SeaRegs own a 10m Lochin 33 based in Sutton Harbour, Plymouth. We train groups and individuals and often tailor our training to meet your specific requirements. MCA Boatmaster training is tailored to your needs and MCA requirements. We offer motor boat training on our boat or yours.

The instructors: The most important part of SeaRegs are our instructors. They are first class. All are RYA/MCA Instructors and the majority are also RYA/MCA Examiners. They are picked not because of their qualification but because they are experienced seafarers and most importantly patient and effective instructors. They are there to help you achieve your aim.

Start Motor Cruising

Motor Helmsman

Day Skipper Power

Coastal Skipper

Yachtmaster Prep

Cruising Instructor

The boat In the 1980’s, the R.N.L.I. chose the Lochin 33 as the basis for the ‘Brede Class’ Lifeboat and these craft served them well for almost 20 years. The same craft were adopted by the South African equivalent of the R.N.L.I. known as the National Sea Rescue Institute (N.S.R.I.). The Lochin 33 were also built for pilot’s, police patrol craft and passenger carriers as well as many charter and leisure vessels. Our Lochin 33, ‘Knights Challenge’, was built in 1990 and has a long wheelhouse, safe stable working deck and twin Yanmar diesel engines on shaft drives. She is equipped with chartplotter, colour radar, AIS, Navtex, intercom, autopilot and twin VHF radios. She is Category 2 commercially coded (up to 60 miles) for up to 8 persons. She is a training boat, so she has some knocks and scratches and you might put some there too, but we keep her mechanically well maintained, clean and with an ample supply of tea and coffee.

The training SeaRegs Training Ltd is recognised by the RYA for training under the Motor Cruising scheme. We teach a maximum of 4 students onboard and often have smaller groups. Personalised tuition is available either for RYA/MCA courses or for improving your skills: 1:1 tuition onboard costs £450 per day or 2:1 tuition is £300 per person per day. Costs include fuel, a working lunch, snacks, tea & coffee, mooring fees etc. Courses are non residential so accommodation is required in one of the many hotels near the marina.

RYA MCA Commercial Endorsement

This is an endorsement to the Powerboat level 2, Day Skipper practical, Advanced Powerboat, Yachtmaster Coastal, Offshore or Ocean certificates so that they can be used on small commercial vessels up to 24m  (200GT YM Offshore and Ocean).

In order to obtain your Commercial Endorsement you will need to send to the RYA:

  • A fully completed Commercial Endorsement Application form 
  • Your printed PPR certificate
  • A completed ML5/ENG1 medical form
  • Your original practical certificate to be endorsed
  • A copy of your RYA Basic Sea Survival Certificate or STCW Personal Survival Techniques
  • A passport size photo of yourself
  • The £35 application fee

In addition, if your wish to obtain a Commercial Endorsement on a Powerboat Level 2, Day Skipper or Advanced Powerboat Course Completion certificate* you will also need to send to the RYA along with the above:

  • A Valid and in-date STCW Elementary First Aid, RYA First Aid, or SeaFish First Aid certificate – see guidance here
  • A VHF/SRC Radio Operators Licence

*Only Advanced Powerboat Course Completion certificates issued prior to 2005 can be Commercially Endorsed, after this date Commercial Endorsements can only be applied to Advanced Powerboat Certificates of Competence.

Pre reading: RYA Commercial regulations for small commercial vessels